Latest Comments

About The Album Project, Darren wrote:
  Voting is now closed (sorry for the delay).

The following albums have been inducted:

The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land (1997)
The Avalanches - Since I Left You (2000)
Orbital - In Sides (1996)
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem (2005)
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest (2013)

No tiebreaker is necessary.
Monday, 07.28.14 @ 04:46am
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About The Song Project, Darren wrote:
  Voting is now closed (sorry for the delay).

The following songs have been voted into the Song Project.

Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way (1999)
Barenaked Ladies - One Week (1998)
Britney Spears - Toxic
Christina Aguilera - Beautiful (2002)
fun. - Some Nights (2012)
Icona Pop (feat. Charli XCX) - I Love It (2012)
Justin Timberlake - SexyBack
Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl (2008)
Mariah Carey - We Belong Together (2005)
Pharrell Williams - Happy (2013)

No tiebreaker is necessary.
Monday, 07.28.14 @ 04:42am
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About Yoko Ono, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Here is a link:

to that video, by the way.
Monday, 07.28.14 @ 02:11am
Leave your own comment about Yoko Ono here.

About Revisited Projected Rankings, PopeCharming wrote:
Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot (1988)- 5
Guns N' Roses - Paradise City (1987)- 4
Living Colour - Cult of Personality (1988)- 3
Faith No More - Epic (1989)- 2
Tears for Fears - Shout (1984)- 1
Monday, 07.28.14 @ 01:05am
Leave your own comment about Revisited Projected Rankings here.

About Rock Hall Projected, Philip wrote:
  "I will say that I do advocate for TG's induction eventually because of their historical significance and influence in electronic and avant-garde rock, but I'm not there yet. I brought them up as an example for Tom of an act that many support, but others will never understand or support. I also presented that under the context that I understand some feeling that way and that there are acts that I feel that way about."

Understood. Tangentially, not growing up with TG, I've had to read about them on wiki... the impression I got is that TG was basically a side project for its members, something for fun, much like the Traveling Wilburys (though worlds different in styles), which has been another big reason I haven't got behind them.

"That said, I really don't feel that that dynamic exists on FRL right now."

That particular dynamic is gone, but the need to be stern is still there. Most recently when we're letting Roy or Enig know that they're constant posting about an act has reached beyond saturation point. In the case of the projects here, I suppose the stronger the language, the greater our hope to persuade or dissuade however effective it may or may not be.

"This is a subject like the importance of billboard charts as a criteria. We're just coming from different planets and won't agree. I rarely think in terms of geography. I think in terms of genre and importance to the threads and chains of influence that run through modern music."

Very true, but I've noticed that post-Beatles threads and chains of influence tend to be very geographical. Can and Kraftwerk were from Europe, and progenitors of EDM. Now, it's spreading here, but where did it breakout, and where is the innovation largely driven from in EDM? Continental Europe. Alternative scene rock is dominated by the British (though there are American acts), but that comes from a lot of acts that styles that were huge in England.

"If someone says that they were influenced by the Clash or the Buzzcocks or Bauhaus or the Fall or Nick Cave or Throbbing Gristle I'm going to take them at their word, especially if I can hear it directly. I don't think anybody is really worried about being muscled out of the business if they don't pay homage to these acts. This is another area where we're just on different planets."

Yeah, but if they claim it, but you can't hear it directly, then you have to consider whether or not they're lying to themselves or others. Acts like the Clash that are broken up and key members deceased, it's a bit safer, but even to bad-mouth them could be suicidal because they're so revered, so it still kinda holds true. But more recently, it's like how Elton John and Eminem consider it an honor to work with each other, or Bono calling Beyonce "Queen Bey" or whatever. It's an everybody loves everybody type of atmosphere, and you've gotta take it with a grain of salt, imo.

"One argument that I'll never buy when discussing the RRHoF or any of our projects is the old, "Would your average soccer mom know about this artist or this song", or any variation of that. I don't know and I don't care. These things are supposed to be for people who are a bit more knowledgeable and open minded about music. I don't care what the Clear Channel mark knows or doesn't know."

It's a thin line where I agree and don't agree with you here. I obviously don't want to make it a total popularity contest, but if it's entirely elitist or insider, then it has no relevance. It becomes an elephant's graveyard of acts that had imagination, but couldn't reach out or express meaningfully effectively. Think of what makes Smokey Robinson's compositions or Ray Charles' songs so timeless and revered. Not only are they artistic, but they communicate to people. Who can't relate to songs like "More Love" or "Busted"? And maybe the sour taste of the Alt-lovers of yore on this site remains, but I find the sentiment of "the fault of the great unwashed" is often a cop out. So while I don't want the Hall to be a tribute to rehashed pablum (e.g. boy bands), it can't be a Hall for hipsters either. Like I once said here (and it really pissed off Liam when I said it), I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to ask that the (majority of) inductees be acts that John Q. Public has at least heard of, even if they can't actually name a song by them. There's a reason they call it a Hall Of FAME. (Though I do enjoy their inducting great acts that should have been bigger than they were like Laura Nyro and Darlene Love.)

I don't how you're gonna define "generation". You're actually 9 years older than me. I think that technically makes me a Gen Xer, but I blend in with the Y'ers pretty well too, and relate fairly well to millennials.

Hope that clarifies my position as well.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 23:45pm
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About Revisited Projected Rankings, Tom H. wrote:
The B-52's - Love Shack (1989)-5
The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go (1982)-4
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (1983)-3
Faith No More - Epic (1989)-2
Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me) (1985)-1
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 23:31pm
Leave your own comment about Revisited Projected Rankings here.

About Revisited Projected Rankings, Tom H. wrote:
The B-52's - Love Shack (1989)-5
The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go (1982)-4
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (1983)-3
Faith No More - Epic (1989)-2
Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me) (1985)-1
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 23:28pm
Leave your own comment about Revisited Projected Rankings here.

About Revisited Projected Rankings, Darren wrote:
The B-52's - Love Shack - 5
Devo - Whip It - 4
Van Halen - Jump - 3
Billy Joel - It's Still Rock And Roll To Me - 2
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A. - 1
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 23:15pm
Leave your own comment about Revisited Projected Rankings here.

About Revisited Projected Rankings, Gassman wrote:
  Less than two days for nominations seems a bit short

Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 23:10pm
Leave your own comment about Revisited Projected Rankings here.

About Revisited Projected Rankings, Darren wrote:
  Nominations are closed for Round 3 (of 6) of ranking for the 1980s Songs group.

There were 19 songs that received 4 nominations, 38 that received 3 nominations and 64 songs that received 2 nominations.

These 38 songs received at least 3 nominations and will participate in the initial tiebreaker rankings:

Billy Joel - It's Still Rock And Roll To Me (1980)
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A. (1984)
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (1983)
Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia (1980)
Devo - Whip It (1980)
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen (1982)
Dire Straits - Walk of Life (1985)
Duran Duran - Rio (1982)
Faith No More - Epic (1989)
Genesis - Land Of Confusion (1986)
Guns N' Roses - Paradise City (1987)
Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills (1982)
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts - I Love Rock And Roll (1981)
Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (1981)
Judas Priest - Breaking The Law (1980)
Living Colour - Cult of Personality (1988)
Madonna - Like a Prayer (1989)
Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)
Modern English - I Melt With You (1982)
N.W.A. - F*** Tha Police (1988)
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (1988)
Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al (1986)
Pixies - Where Is My Mind? (1988)
Prince - 1999 (1982)
Prince - Little Red Corvette (1982)
R.E.M. - Stand (1988)
Rick James - Super Freak (1981)
Run-D.M.C. feat. Aerosmith - Walk This Way (1986)
Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me) (1985)
Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot (1988)
Tears for Fears - Shout (1984)
The B-52's - Love Shack (1989)
The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go (1982)
The Human League - Don't You Want Me (1981)
The Rolling Stones - Start Me Up (1981)
U2 - Pride (In the Name of Love) (1984)
Van Halen - Jump (1984)
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart (1983)

To vote in the initial tiebreaker rankings, rank 25 of these songs in order of preference. The top song on your list will receive 25 points, the second song will receive 24 and so on.

The 15 songs with the highest point totals (with more than 15 possible in the event of a tie for 15th) will advance to the final rankings tiebreaker, which will be a ranked tiebreaker involving only those 15 songs. The results of the final rankings tiebreaker will be the rankings.

If you haven't participated in the 1980s rankings nominations or initial rankings so far, you need to participate in this initial ranking in order to have your vote counted in the final rankings.

The initial tiebreaker ranking vote will end at 10 PM Central on Tuesday the 29th.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 23:02pm
Leave your own comment about Revisited Projected Rankings here.

About The Album Project, DarinRG wrote:
  Tom - That's cool. I just wanted to say something because it's rare for me to pass on any of those three. I agonized over it.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 22:55pm
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About The Album Project, John R.C. wrote:
  Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest (2013)
Brian Eno - Another Day On Earth (2005)
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven (2013)
Passion Pit - Gossamer (2012)
Sparks - Lil Beethoven (2002)
Suicide - American Supreme (2002)
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 22:47pm
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About The Album Project, Tom H. wrote:
  DarrinRG-

No worries. This is so not my area of expertise so I was just grasping at straws for a nomination.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 22:40pm
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About The Album Project, DarinRG wrote:
  Lax and Tom - I will tell you both that I love the Sparks, Suicide and Eno albums that you inducted and would support them in the future. I just made the choice to go with some of the acts who hit their peak importance during the period of this vote. It was not a personal slight on either of you.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 22:15pm
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About Rock Hall Projected, DarinRG wrote:
  " I'm not as closed-minded or "stubbornly dismissive" as you think I am. I at least gave Throbbing Gristle and The Birthday Party a chance before getting dismissive of them. I won't make any bones about it when I say I don't get it, and when we're only picking 7 names, eventually you will pick names you get, rather than ones you don't."

And that's fine. Those are two very difficult acts if you aren't already plugged into that style of music. I will say that I do advocate for TG's induction eventually because of their historical significance and influence in electronic and avant-garde rock, but I'm not there yet. I brought them up as an example for Tom of an act that many support, but others will never understand or support. I also presented that under the context that I understand some feeling that way and that there are acts that I feel that way about.

TG are in my top 30 for Projected, but I have never mounted a serious push for them yet, and I wasn't doing that by bringing them up yesterday. Right now I'd prefer to get Captain Beefheart, Neu!, Bauhaus and the Fall taken care of from the chain of avant- rock acts before I mount any sort of serious push for TG.

As far as the Birthday Party go, I don't advocate for their induction. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds satisfied me in that area.

"But then again, I've long felt larger classes were the answer. "

Agreed. Cleveland is shamefully far behind in so many eras and genres.

"But having been around here in the days of liam and others similar to him, not to mention the Steve Perry faithful and similar rabid fans of acts that really aren't worthy, you've got to be able to be blunt and even a little mean sometimes. That's pretty much where that whole style of talk on this forum comes from. Be ready to punch back, because they WILL throw the first one."

Yes, when I read the comments of Alt supporters who pre-dated me on this site I cringe. Nobody is doing any service to those acts by being condescending d-bags about it. I also see that in a lot of cases they were responding to equally obnoxious and condescending Prog/Metal/Hard Rock fans. I mentioned a couple weeks ago that those two fan bases are the most traditionally dickish in forums like this and the earlier days of this site are a great archive of that.

That said, I really don't feel that that dynamic exists on FRL right now. I think that for the most part any tribalism or stubbornness is more passive. Some of us will occasionally notice and vent about it, but through our voting projects I think that the regulars these days eventually become exposed to and accepting of things outside their home base genres. Some people dive in, some take some prodding, but I'm not seeing that territorial assbucketness that used to define this site.

"If anything, I've gotten a bit resentful of this project because I'm in such a minority (it feels like)."

Being a participant in the daily grind of our various projects I feel that way a lot, too. I know others do as well.

" I feel like any R&B acts we inducted were just "something to do" until all the prog/indie/underground acts that we love became eligilbe, and lost focus on the importance of those other styles altogether, or worse, pay lip service by calling them "influences", as in "I think they're important, but I don't like them enough to call them Performers, so I'll call them Influences and that'll be good enough.""

I think it's very valid that you feel this way. I can't argue with you. This did happen. Back when we were doing Revisited, I didn't know or care much about R&B, but listening to the opinions of others and exploring some of their favorites has actually made me quite a fan of the genre from the 40s-70s. On the other hand, people were excited to get to prog/punk/alt because those are areas that were most directly meaningful to a large portion of our voting body, both the original acts and the modern acts that they influenced.

You're right that a lot of R&B acts have been left behind, and I understand your frustration. In the Song and Album Projects I feel that a lot of the groundbreaking and meaningful artists of the 80s and 90s have been forgotten and get ignored, but I'm glad that you've been banging a drum for those disrespected R&B acts. I'm saving a spot on my ballot for one this year, and not to just throw a bone. It's because you and Bill have made your case to me. That's pretty much what I try to do with the era and genres that were most meaningful to me.

"I also bristle a bit at the way it's been trending more and more away from American recognition, even touting acts specifically because they were "too good for the Yanks" (not a direct quote). I'm not saying that that's an absolute necessity, but at the very least, if not the U.S., then huge in the U.K.... if not with actual sales, then name cache or massive regional influence. Or huge in Europe as a whole. I feel there should be some major anchor in a major hub market (not that I'm saying I'd support David Hasselhoff, goodness no)."

"I remember the "people lie" comment, but I think that got taken out of context. My point is, when you're an entertainer and in the entertainment industry, you basically have to claim to be a fan of everyone, to have been influenced to some degree by artists within the general area of your sound, and be buddy-buddy with everyone, unless you're directly trying to promote an image that is directly anti-social., etc..."

"But are you really telling me you don't also know people whose truths about music run no deeper than the dictates of Clearchannel, be it Top 40 or Country or AC?"

Of course I do, both IRL and even on this site. I've called that out in the Song Project several times. I think that we occasionally get people who pop up with that limited scope. It's frustrating when you get a two or three showing up at the same time. My observation, though is that they either quickly realize that FRL is a great resource for expanding your musical knowledge base and appreciation and they go with it or the disappear after a few months.

"Are we really the same generation? I can't tell. You look older than me in your profile pic on Twitter."

I don't know. I always thought that you were a Boomer who worked in radio in the 60s (that's not a dig, that's really what I thought for years). I think I insinuated that a while back and you mentioned that we're roughly of the same generation. I was born in '72 (great music year), to clear up any mystery.

Anyway, I hope that gives you a better idea of where I'm coming from, especially that I don't endorse most of the vitriolic comments of the early Alt fans on this site (as well as a few drunken assholish comments of my own from over the years).

Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 22:02pm
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About The Song Project, Austin wrote:
  Give my Justin Timberlake vote to We Belong Together so we avoid an annoying 8-way tiebreaker for one song. This is probably the fiercest battle we've had since I've been here. Modern pop of all things.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 22:01pm
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About The Song Project, Lax31 wrote:
  My special election vote for this month is the following:

Coldplay - Paradise (2011)
Janet Jackson, Joni Mitchell & QTip - Got 'Til It's Gone (1997)
Santana - The Game Of Love (2002)
fun. - Some Nights (2012)
Justin Timberlake - SexyBack (2006)
Christina Aguilera - Beautiful (2002)
Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way (1999)
Britney Spears - Toxic (2003)
Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl (2008)
Pharrell Williams - Happy (2013)

Happy (pun intended) anniversary to Pharell's breakthrough,

Lax31
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 21:48pm
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About The Album Project, Lax31 wrote:
  My ballot, though late arriving, is as follows.

Brian Eno - Another Day On Earth (2005)
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine (2013)
Sparks - Lil Beethoven (2002)
Suicide - American Supreme (2002)
The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land (1997)
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem (2005)

Perhaps I need to relearn the defintion of electronic,

Lax31
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 21:39pm
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About The Song Project, DarinRG wrote:
  Justin Timberlake - SexyBack
Icona Pop (feat. Charli XCX) - I Love It (2012)
Backstreet Boys - As Long as You Love Me (1997)
Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl (2008)
Lana Del Rey - Blue Jeans (2011)
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (2011)
Tegan and Sara - Closer (2012)
Idina Menzel - Let It Go (2013)
Liz Phair - Why Can't I? (2003)
Janet Jackson (featuring Joni Mitchell & QTip) - Got 'Til It's Gone (1997)
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 21:04pm
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About The Album Project, Darren wrote:

Passion Pit - Gossamer (2012) - 4

Brian Eno - Another Day On Earth (2005) - 1
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine (2013) - 1
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven (2013) - 1

Sparks - Lil Beethoven (2002) - 0
Suicide - American Supreme (2002) - 0

Voting ends at 11:55 PM Central tonight.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 19:26pm
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About The Album Project, Darren wrote:
  My Votes:

Capital Cities - In a Tidal Wave of Mystery (2013)
Justice - Audio, Video, Disco (2011)
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem (2005)
Passion Pit - Gossamer (2012)
The Avalanches - Since I Left You (2000)
The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land (1997)
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 19:24pm
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About The Song Project, Darren wrote:

Janet Jackson (featuring Joni Mitchell & QTip) - Got 'Til It's Gone (1997) - 2
Len - Steal My Sunshine (1999) - 2
Matchbox Twenty - If You're Gone (2000) - 2
P!nk - Who Knew (2006) - 2

Santana - The Game Of Love (2002) - 1

Usher - Climax (2012) - 0

Voting ends at 11:55 PM Central tonight.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 19:16pm
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About The Song Project, Darren wrote:
  My votes:

Capital Cities - Safe and Sound (2011)
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (2011)
Edwin McCain - I'll Be (1997)
fun. - Some Nights (2012)
Icona Pop (feat. Charli XCX) - I Love It (2012)
Lana Del Rey - Blue Jeans (2011)
Lorde - Tennis Court (2013)
Pharrell Williams - Happy (2013)
Sarah McLachlan - Angel (1997)
Tegan and Sara - Closer (2012)

Didn't need my vote / would have my vote in the future:

Alex Clare - Too Close (2011)
Barenaked Ladies - One Week (1998)
Beyonce - Halo (2008)
Brandy & Monica - The Boy is Mine (1998)
Britney Spears - Toxic
Christina Aguilera - Beautiful (2002)
Coldplay - Paradise (2011)
Idina Menzel - Let It Go (2013)
Justin Timberlake - SexyBack
Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl (2008)
Len - Steal My Sunshine (1999)
Liz Phair - Why Can't I? (2003)
Mariah Carey - We Belong Together (2005)
Matchbox Twenty - If You're Gone (2000)
N Sync - Bye Bye Bye (2000)
R. Kelly - Ignition (Remix) (2003)
Sarah Bareilles - Love Song (2007)
Smash Mouth - Walkin' on the Sun (1997)
Usher - Climax (2012)
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 19:12pm
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About the eligibility class of 2014, Anonymous wrote:
  NIN only.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 18:35pm
Leave your own comment about 2014 here.

About Yoko Ono, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Yoko Ono is a brilliant artist. Her work may be a bit odd, but sometimes, as in the case of "Bad Dancer", her work is really quite extraordinary.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 14:40pm
Leave your own comment about Yoko Ono here.

About The Album Project, Tom H. wrote:
  Pease switch my vote for

Suicide - American Supreme (2002)

to

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest (2013)
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 13:31pm
Leave your own comment about The Album Project here.

About The Song Project, Tom H. wrote:
  Rick-

Hell yeah to any Blues Brothers tracks, though I'd start with Soul Man first

I'd also support both Spinners tracks and Meco depending on the ballot
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 12:33pm
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About The Song Project, Rick Vendl II wrote:
  ^ Another

Elvis Presley - Way Down (1977)
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 11:59am
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About The Song Project, Rick Vendl II wrote:
  Thanks Tom H for your congratulations and commentary, then congrats on Some Night!

Forgot

Maureen McGovern - The Morning After (aka "The Academy Award Oscar Winning Song from 1972's 'The Poseidon Adventure'") (1973)
Meco - Theme from Close Encounters (1978)
The Blues Brothers - Soul Man (1978)
The Spinners - Working My Way Back to You/Forgive Me, Girl (Medley) (1979)
The Spinners - Cupid/I've Loved You for a Long Time (Medley) (1979)
The Blues Brothers - Gimme Some Lovin' (1980)
The Blues Brothers - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (1980)
The Blues Brothers - Sweet Home Chicago (1980)
Ray Stevens - "Cannonball" (1981)
Chuck Mangione - Cannonball Run Theme (1981)

Oh, I'd also support from your list...

Steve Martin - King Tut (1978)

8-)
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 11:49am
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About The Song Project, Josh wrote:
  I just wanted to say I am moving and going back to college this August, so I may not be able to participate as often.

modern modern pop votes:
Barenaked Ladies - One Week (1998)
Christina Aguilera - Beautiful (2002)
Coldplay - Paradise (2011)
Edwin McCain - I'll Be (1997)
Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl (2008)
Mariah Carey - We Belong Together (2005)
N Sync - Bye Bye Bye (2000)
P!nk - Who Knew (2006)
Sarah Bareilles - Love Song (2007)
Sarah McLachlan - Angel (1997)
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 11:44am
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About Rock Hall Projected, Paul in KY wrote:
  I could support 3 Dog Night. Still on the fence about DMB.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 10:04am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About The Song Project, Tom H. wrote:
  Rick-

I would support these from your latest list: (*means high priority)

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John (1961)
*Neil Diamond - Cherry, Cherry (1966)
Jerry Reed - Amos Moses (1970)
Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride (1970)
*Tony Orlando and Dawn - Knock Three Times (1970)
*Neil Diamond - I Am...I Said (1971)
*Billy Paul - Me andd Mrs. Jones (1972) (great one hit wonder)
Tony Orlando and Dawn - Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree (1973)
Neil Sedaka - Laughter in the Rain (1974)
*Ohio Players - Fire (1974)
Eagles - Take It to the Limit (1975)
Eric Carmen - All By Myself (1975)
Rhythm Heritage - Theme from "S.W.A.T." (1975)
*Bellamy Brothers - Let Your Love Flow (1976)
Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started From (1976)
The Manhattans - Kiss and Say Goodbye (1976)
The Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight (1976)(guity pleasure of mine thanks to Anchorman)
*Walter Murphy - A Fifth of Beethoven (1976)
Alice Cooper - You and Me (1977)
*Meco - Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band (1977)
Meco - Empire Strikes Back Medley (Darth Vader & Yoda's Theme) (1980)
Meco - Pop Goes the Movies (1981)
Neil Diamond - Heartlight (1982)

Thanks for the feedback on my list. As "Some Nights" looks like it is getting in thanks to the genre vote it looks like I'll be putting in three new songs on next month's ballot (since Real American" crashed and burned and Sirens has yet to get any traction after 7 months on the ballot).
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 09:46am
Leave your own comment about The Song Project here.

About Weird Al Yankovic, Roy wrote:

Weird Al gets his first Top 10 album in Australia
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 06:19am
Leave your own comment about Weird Al Yankovic here.

About Yoko Ono, Enigmaticus wrote:
  I had read the funniest thing, yesterday. I had read that Yoko Ono's voice had resembled the sound of a barrel full of cats being set on fire. That comment was absolutely hilarious and quite descriptive. So, being a glutton for punishment, I had to listen to her for myself. Oh my goodness is all that I have to say!
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 04:29am
Leave your own comment about Yoko Ono here.

About Rock Hall Projected, DarinRG wrote:
  I appreciate your response. There's a lot there to parse through and it deserves more respect than I can give it now that the Saturday night pints are kicking in (one thing that I need to work on around here is sobering up before I express some of my opinions).

I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Oh, the Hamburger Lady thing was a goof. I can berely even listen to it.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 02:40am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About Rock Hall Projected, Philip wrote:
  I think you have pegged wrongly Darin. I'm not as closed-minded or "stubbornly dismissive" as you think I am. I at least gave Throbbing Gristle and The Birthday Party a chance before getting dismissive of them. I won't make any bones about it when I say I don't get it, and when we're only picking 7 names, eventually you will pick names you get, rather than ones you don't. Or in the case of the real Hall, 5 or 6. But then again, I've long felt larger classes were the answer. But by the same token, and you've seen this on my blog, when I try to objectively rank nominees by merits, I put acts that I don't like up high if I feel their merits are real, even if I don't "get them." In all sincerity, I don't think anyone is "wrong", per se. But having been around here in the days of liam and others similar to him, not to mention the Steve Perry faithful and similar rabid fans of acts that really aren't worthy, you've got to be able to be blunt and even a little mean sometimes. That's pretty much where that whole style of talk on this forum comes from. Be ready to punch back, because they WILL throw the first one.

If anything, I've gotten a bit resentful of this project because I'm in such a minority (it feels like). I feel like any R&B acts we inducted were just "something to do" until all the prog/indie/underground acts that we love became eligilbe, and lost focus on the importance of those other styles altogether, or worse, pay lip service by calling them "influences", as in "I think they're important, but I don't like them enough to call them Performers, so I'll call them Influences and that'll be good enough." I also bristle a bit at the way it's been trending more and more away from American recognition, even touting acts specifically because they were "too good for the Yanks" (not a direct quote). I'm not saying that that's an absolute necessity, but at the very least, if not the U.S., then huge in the U.K.... if not with actual sales, then name cache or massive regional influence. Or huge in Europe as a whole. I feel there should be some major anchor in a major hub market (not that I'm saying I'd support David Hasselhoff, goodness no). Some of these acts that there's been a push for, I'm not getting much sense that they have that anchor. For example, reading about Throbbing Gristle on wiki, I get the feeling that they're widely spread, but not a big deal in any one particular corner, and to me, that's not a really good sign. But Cliff Richard or Status Quo... small potatoes in the U.S., but enormous in the UK... I'd support their inductions.

Again, that feeling may also come from other people also having to make that tough call of selecting only 7 when they could easily conjure up 20 or 30 names to induct. But then again, we had one guy trying for Buckner And Garcia repeatedly because of the fond memories of "Pac-Man Fever". So... yeah.

I remember the "people lie" comment, but I think that got taken out of context. My point is, when you're an entertainer and in the entertainment industry, you basically have to claim to be a fan of everyone, to have been influenced to some degree by artists within the general area of your sound, and be buddy-buddy with everyone, unless you're directly trying to promote an image that is directly anti-social. You never know when they'll be in the flow or when you'll be in the ebb, so don't make any enemies. You may personally think a fellow performer is a gigantic cockwaffle, but you can never say that audibly. If you play rock, and if someone thinks they hear traces of another artist in your songs, then you go along with it, because it might just sell more downloads. It's basically the entertainment game, and it applies to music just as surely as it does to TV and movies. That is why I say "people lie." When asked about influences, throw as many diverse yet major names as possible and try to resonate with a someone and hopefully you'll make a fan out of them. Not everyone does it, but it's a general rule.

And I'm glad you can meet people like that on a regular basis. But are you really telling me you don't also know people whose truths about music run no deeper than the dictates of Clearchannel, be it Top 40 or Country or AC? It's almost impossible. Even when I worked in radio (for a competitor to Clearchannel no less), there were still co-workers like that. Nevermind the co-workers at other jobs I had to work at while also working in radio. *shudder* I can't imagine anyone not knowing anyone like that.

Fwiw, "Hamburger Lady" I would still submit as not being very entertaining (again, my opinion). It's less creepy guy and more "bus ride", especially the bottom track running underneath everything else. Honestly reminds me a little of video game sounds (not meant as an insult).
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 02:17am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About Rock Hall Projected, DarinRG wrote:
  You and I will never get past semi-friendly bickering on the broader subject of avant garde/experimental/alternative (in the classic sense) music. We've already put the pieces together. We're roughly of the same generation, you grew up in a rural area and didn't have exposure to that music and you're stubbornly dismissive of it, while I grew up in a city (Phoenix) and had access to a College/Alt radio station and healthy punk, goth, industrial and new wave scenes (nothing of LA/NY/London caliber, but respectable) and that music was impactful, meaningful and influential to me as well as my peers of our generation.

I can still frequently meet people of my generation here in Phoenix or when I visit LA, Tucson, New Orleans, Atlanta, Phildelphia, Portland, Salt Lake City or San Diego (just from actual experience) and quickly get into knowledgable conversations about these acts and what they meant to us and where we still hear their influence.

I remember a while back you dismissed that the alt/underground acts were influential because "people lie". That was a nosebreaking facepalm from someone of your historical knowledge and analytical skill (and I mean both parts of that sentence sincerely).

Your attitude has always esentially been, "I missed it, I don't get it, so anyone who does is wrong. It mustn't be important or influential if it wasn't to me."

It's hard to get anywhere when that's what you've projected since the day that we first came ito contact with each other.

I do genuinely like and respect you, but damn, why try?
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 01:25am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About Rock Hall Projected, Philip wrote:
  Greg, Poco's a little too soft and a little too country for me. If we can't get country-rock progenitor the Big Bopper in, then I ain't throwing support behind Poco.

I like Badfinger, especially their song "Maybe Tomorrow" which they recorded as the Iveys. Regardless, I really don't see them as being deserving. I feel they join the ranks of Peter And Gordon, and Billy J. Kramer And The Dakotas in that they needed the Beatles to get them any clearance off the ground, but never rose above that initial boost.

Captain Beefheart isn't entirely my thing, though I love "Diddy Wah Diddy" and have an affinity for "Zig Zag Wanderer", too. But it would have to be with his Magic Lantern Band. No solo induction for him. The whole group. I'd support that.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 01:22am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About Rock Hall Projected, Philip wrote:
  Oh come off it Darin. You and I both know and interact with people on an analog and daily basis. I don't think it's a shocking revelation for me to say that. Heck, the shocking revelation is that I've been called "pretentious" and a "music snob" on more than one occasion. To you, that's gotta be fall-down-laughing hilarious. To them, pointing out that Ke$ha actually proved it's possible to rap off-key is just spoiling everyone else's fun. Then I play them Roy Orbison's "She's A Mystery To Me," and the reaction I get is stunned silence and comments like "That's some next-level shit right there." Now what do you suppose they'd say if they heard Throbbing Gristle?

Also, I think Hamburger Lady might have been one of the tracks I heard. I don't remember... I think one title had something about a washing machine, and another had Mushroom or something.... and I think the Phoenix was involved in another song title. I... I kinda tried to block them from my memory banks.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 00:50am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About Rock Hall Projected, DarinRG wrote:
  Try listening to "Hamburger Lady", that'll change your mind and you can spread the word to the "most people" who clearly elected you spokesperson.

Also, don't walk past the bus. The windows open and I have good aim.
Sunday, 07.27.14 @ 00:29am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.