Cast your 2018 ballot here!

Vote for the FIVE nominees you believe will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018:
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
MC5
The J. Geils Band
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
Rage Against the Machine
Please vote for exactly five nominees.

Latest Comments

If you're looking for the latest comments and voting for the Song Project, Album Project and Revisited Projected Rankings, check out the Project Comments page.

I really think the Hall will surprise us all and go with 8 inductees this year
here`s my Predictions if they go with 8 inductees this year
Bon Jovi
The Cars
Dire Straits
The Eurythmics
LL Cool J
The Moody Blues
Radiohead
Nina Simone
Early Influence
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
the reason why I really think there will be 8 Performer inductees plus Sister Rosetta as an Early Influence this year is because of two things
1 we once again got a big ballot this year with 19 nominees again and it`s in Cleveland this year
2 they did Non-Performer in 2016 and Musical Excellence last year so I think that they will skip both this year and will just do Early Influence this year making it a total of 8 Performer inductees plus 1 backdoor induction this year making it the biggest inductee class in years
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 18:20pm

About The Moody Blues, Margie wrote:
  Thank God the Moody Blues are finally being recognized for the giants of Rock & Roll they are. They created "progressive rock" & have some of the most beautiful & lasting music ever created! They have been my favorite band since 1967, when Justin & the boys made "Nights In White Satin"! They are genuine, caring & humble individuals! Their music transcends every day life & its problems & gives you hope! I have seen them in person many times. They are always totally sold out, & people of all ages come to be a part of their concert events, which just "take you away"! They should have been in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame at least 30 yrs. ago! But now the committee has "finally seen the light"! we all love them for the beauty they have brought into our lives, & know this is the year, finally for their recognition!
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 17:23pm
Leave your own comment about The Moody Blues here.

Jason,
the reason why I really think the Hall will surprise us all and go with 8 inductees plus Sister Rosetta as an Early Influence this year is because of two things
1 we once again got a big ballot this year with 19 nominees and it`s in Cleveland this year
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 13:43pm

The Moody Blues
Radiohead
Nina Simone
Early Influence
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
making it a total of 8 Performer inductees plus 1 backdoor induction this year
I really think those 8 artists I mentioned (Bon Jovi The Cars Dire Straits The Eurythmics LL Cool J The Moody Blues Radiohead and Nina Simone) plus Sister Rosetta as an Early Influence will be inducted this year making it the biggest inductee class in years
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 13:39pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Roy wrote:
  What's the connection between Steve Winwood and the Moody Blues?
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 13:20pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Jason Voigt wrote:
  King, you're exactly right. Steve Winwood should induct the Moodys. It would indeed get him back on the ballot, solo-wise.

I'm wondering who would induct Nina Simone. Let's face it, early influence or not, I am certain she'll finally get in this time. She's influenced so many from different genres, it would be a challenge to figure out who would induct her. A legend like Elton John (who named one of his pianos after her?)? A current artist like Lana Del Ray? Superstar R&B acts such as Alicia Keys and/or John Legend? Or an activist like Bono? Can't wait to see what it narrows down to.
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 13:07pm

Nina Simone
Early Influence
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
making it a total of 8 Performer inductees plus 1 backdoor induction
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 12:29pm

Kyle,
I think RATM`s career though influential was way too short and besides we got two first-ballot inductees last year with Pearl Jam and Tupac and I just don`t see it happening again this year and Radiohead and RATM I think the next time we`ll get two first-ballot inductees in one year will be the year when Foo Fighters and Jay-Z become Eligble
I really think they`ll surprise us all and go with 8 inductees this year
Nina Simone
Early Influence
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
making it a total of 8 Performer inductees plus 1 backdoor induction this year
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 12:18pm

Kyle,
I just don`t see RATM as a first ballot inductee RATM I think they`re more like NIN I think it`ll take them a couple of tries to get in I think The Cars and The Moody Blues are far more likely than RATM I agree with Bon Jovi Dire Straits The Eurythmics LL Cool J Radiohead and Nina Simone though I really think they will surprise us all and go with 8 Performer inductees this year plus I think Sister Rosetta Tharpe will get in as an Early Influence
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 12:04pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Ben wrote:
  richie,

I didn't think of that either. The Tom Petty death. Although I expected a Chuck Berry tribute at the end early this year. It was at the beginning. So who knows. It will probably be a closing jam. We are a bit ahead of ourselves. Lets find out the actual inductees in Dec. So we know who will play for sure.
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 11:35am

About the 2018 Nominees, Kyle wrote:
  After taking a closer look at the nominees and predicting the top picks for artist, committee, fan, and music critic votes. Here is my final prediction for 2018

1. Radiohead: they will get a lot of votes from music writers, critics, and committee members.

2. Eurythmics: will get alit if votes from females artist and other peers

3. Dire Straits: will get a lot of votes from their peers,especially artist like Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, and Tina Turner.

4. LL Cool J: he will get a lot of support from Africian American artist and Rap artist

5. Rage Against The Machine: will get support from artist like Bruce Springsteen, Eddie Vedder, The Clash, Patti Smith, U2 and others

6. Bon Jovi: they will win the fan vote and the hall of fame will want to keep fans happy.

Early Influence

Nina Simone: she was eligible since before 1986 which qualifies her in this category. She will get a lot of votes, but I can see the hall of fame placing her as a early influence in favor of the final spot to Bon Jovi. Again, hall of fame will want to keep fans happy.

2019 picks

1. Dave Matthews Band
2. Janet Jackson
3. Moody Blues
4. Nine Inch Nails
5. Soundgarden
6. The Cars
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 11:22am

Ben,
one song I could see it being the Jam session is I Won`t Back Down by the late Tom Petty I could totally see that song being the Jam session this year as a tribute to him
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 11:18am

About the 2018 Nominees, Ben wrote:
  The_Claw,

Yes. There is Bon Jovi. Ahhh right Bon Jovi. I changing my mind. Bon Jovi is indeed the most popular act on the ballot. I think they will be selected and that they will headline. It would NOT be the Moody Blues. I was wrong. Last year Yes was my fav. This year the Moodys are. This certainly doesnt mean that they will headline. I got carried away. I like Bon Jovi. I own his Gr. Hits and once owned Slippery When Wet. I am NOT a huge fan but I like him. I am just pointing out that I am not opposed to Bon Jovi headlining. Livin on A Prayer would also make a good jam. We will discuss this more after the inductees are announced.
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 07:07am

About Rock Hall Projected, Darrin A wrote:
  7 votes for Performers:

Gang of Four
Amy Winehouse
Ringo Starr
The Faces/The Small Faces
Percy Sledge
George Michael
Sweet

Monday, 10.16.17 @ 04:49am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About the 2018 Nominees, KING wrote:
   I think Steve Winwood will induct Moody Blues. This would grease the wheels for a 2nd Steve Winwood induction. Can't envision a scenario where Moody Blues is squeezed out. They will receive votes from all over the place. 60's groups, 70's groups,the Prog contingency,rock groups. LL Cool J is very intriguing. N.W.A. Public Enemy and some rap groups have been inducted recently. Should pick up some votes. He's a big star in music and TV. Will help his cause. However, Janet Jackson with her fans and popularity couldn't get enough votes for induction. I think Moody Blues and Radiohead will make it through. Hoping Judas Priest can capture enough votes for induction. They have earned it. KING
Monday, 10.16.17 @ 01:58am

About The Moody Blues, Follower wrote:
  Conspiracy Theory Time: Bon Jovi was nominated because the Hall knew that they would defeat The Moody Blues, as the winner of the fan poll always gets in.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 22:42pm
Leave your own comment about The Moody Blues here.

The_Claw,
I think that since they did Non-Performer in 2016 and Musical Excellence last year that they skip both this year and will just do Early Influence this year
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 21:57pm

About the 2018 Nominees, The_Claw wrote:
  Ben, without a doubt Bon Jovi is the most popular act on the ballot and if they are selected, they'll be the headliner.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 20:30pm

About the 2018 Nominees, The_Claw wrote:
  richie, how do you know that the candidates for the Musical Excellence or Non-Performer categories are not worthy? Those candidates have never been revealed.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 20:27pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Ben wrote:
  Sue,

That was a great post. I think perhaps the Moody Blues would be the Headline act. Unlike Enig I did NOT expect Yes to headline last year. Like so many others I figured on Pearl Jam as the headline act.

Pearl Jam are now in. I predict Radiohead to be inducted but NOT to headline. They are Not as universally popular as a 90s act as Pearl Jam. Now the reason this is relevant is it leads us to the question of which act would be the headliner that closes. That act could easily be the Moody Blues. The jams could be Nights and Singer in a Rock n Roll band.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 20:19pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Jason Voigt wrote:
  I'm not the first to complain but it does strike me as odd that voters can only select 5 acts regardless of how many acts will be inducted. I really hope they surprise us.

Nice predictions by the way
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 19:25pm

The Moody Blues
Radiohead
Nina Simone
Early Influence
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
making it a total of 8 Performer inductees plus 1 backdoor induction this year
2 I just don`t think there are any worthy candidates for the Musical Excellence or Non-Performer categories this year
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 19:16pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Jason Voigt wrote:
  It will probably be around Thanksgiving/late November when I post my real predictions for the Class of 2018. I've narrowed it down to ten acts, and it gets difficult all the time. However, I'll be glad to share who I would vote for if I were one of the "cool, selected, lucky people to be able to vote":

The Moody Blues
Nina Simone
Bon Jovi
Eurythmics
The Cars

They are only allowed to pick 5, right? That would suck bigtime. My ballot is based strictly on personal taste, and I would have included Depeche Mode and Kate Bush in a heartbeat. But this is just playing favorites on my part. I'm wondering if this is how others are voting, that is with their hearts and who is the most deserving. I would also do an 'underdog' ballot, since I cheer on for those at the bottom of the barrel: The Meters, MC5 and the J. Geils Band.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 18:38pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Sue wrote:
  Enig and Ben,

I agree about the members of Rush and or Yes inducting the Moodies. I also believe Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan of ELO would be good choices. Jeff is from Birmingham, England(Where the Moodies pretty much started from) Bev is friends with John Lodge. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull played with Justin at a benefit several years ago and Tull also were with the Moody Blues at the Isle of Wight show in 1970.Two gentleman worthy but probably not going to come would be Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel of Genesis. One more from left field would be Howard Stern who is a big fan. Of course Ringo and Paul are a possibility.
There is no doubt a major tribute to the passing of Tom Petty will occur so several major artists will be on hand. Perhaps Dhani Harrison(George's son) who has joined in at a RRHOF jam before will play with Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan and others for a Traveling Wilbury's song.
If Eurythmics,The Cars,Dire Straits and Bon Jovi all win along with The Moodies I think it will be one of the best jams ever especially if "Just a singer in a rock and roll band" is the song. Members of Radiohead and LL Cool J could also be in the mix so that would make things very interesting.
I would love to see The Moodies and Eurythmics do a song together. Annie Lennox has one the most amazing female vocals in rock music. Along with Justin and John something magical could happen. "Nights" would be perfect for this.

What songs and artist jams do the two of you or anyone here have for the 2018 show in April?

We must also remember the RRHOF is political and artists are inducted who have been out of the "buzz", while fan favorites are passed over sometimes for years...

Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 16:39pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

Personally, I think that all three members of Rush would be delighted with the honor of inducting The Moody Blues into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

As I have stated previously, “I have seen no greater influence on Rush’s overall discography than that of The Moody Blues.”
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 15:51pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

Personally, I think that all three members of Rush would be delighted with the honor of inductingThe Moody Blues into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 15:49pm

About the 2018 Nominees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

I can answer that question. Rush seem to be soo likely. Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson have did so well inducting Yes but it could also be some members of Yes. I can easily picture Jon Anderson and Steve Howe as the presenters for the Moody Blues. Jeff Lynne is also kind of worthy. How about Carl Palmer as tbeir presenter. That woulr sort of be a homage to ELP in an indirect way but its NOT as likely. For that matter somebody like Alan Parsons can also do it. Tell me what you think.

Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 15:42pm

About The Moody Blues, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Yesterday was the prog father's 71st birthday. I certainly hope that his belated birthday present will include an induction into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 14:04pm
Leave your own comment about The Moody Blues here.

About Bon Jovi, Follower wrote:
  They're winning the fan poll. They're getting in.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 13:53pm
Leave your own comment about Bon Jovi here.

About Rock Hall Projected, Ray wrote:
  Agreed, made a note of them.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 13:48pm
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About the 2018 Nominees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  As you are most probably very much aware, earlier this year, several of the past and present members of Yes had finally been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. Although Yes had been previously nominated twice before, their third nomination was the charm. Accordingly and perhaps quite appropriately, Yes had been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame by previous inductees and prog icons, Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush.

In 2018, The Moody Blues, who have long deserved this acknowledgement, will most probably receive their long overdue induction into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.
After all, The Moody Blues are essentially the godfathers of prog rock and art rock, probably the most critically derided genres of Rock & Roll.

Ultimately, the question then becomes, who do you think is worthy of inducting The Moody Blues into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame?
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 13:21pm

About The Moody Blues, Enigmaticus wrote:

Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 12:54pm
Leave your own comment about The Moody Blues here.

About The Moody Blues, Enigmaticus wrote:

Ultimately, the question then becomes, who is worthy of inducting The Moody Blues into the Rock & Roll Hall Of
Fame?
offshoots of rock and roll.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 12:51pm
Leave your own comment about The Moody Blues here.

About Rock Hall Projected, The_Claw wrote:
  Great choices for non-performers, dmg! It highlights that we have made the same mistake as the Hall by choosing only one part of a duo of studio owners. There is no good reason to choose Jim Stewart but not Estelle Axton or to choose Leonard over Phil Chess. These two will be high on my radar.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 11:19am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About the 2018 Nominees, Ben wrote:
  richie,

I agree with that totally. I looked up Sister Rosetta Tharpe on Google. Her career goes back to 1941. Her career was in gospel and it seems like it died down in the late 50s. I too cant think of anyone for Music Excellence. Im not good with the extra awards.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 10:56am

Ben,
the reason why I really think there will be 8 Performer inductees plus Sister Rosetta as an Early Influence this year is because I just don`t think there are any worthy candidates for the Musical Excellence or Non-Performer categories this year
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 10:44am

About the 2018 Nominees, Ben wrote:
  richie,

It would be cool to have 8 performer inductees and I dont want to expect that too much. I did increase to 7 inductees. We shall see what happens in Dec. We do agree on those 7. Also witb Sister Rosetta Tharpe as early influence. I am going to end this topic to take time for other chats.
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 10:29am

Ben,
because we once again got a big ballot this year with 19 nominees and it`s in Cleveland this year
I don`t think Rap will be skipped this year but next year it will be
here`s my Predictions if they go with 8
Early Influence
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
making it a total of 8 Performer inductees and 1 backdoor induction this year
Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 10:08am

About the 2018 Nominees, Ben wrote:
  richie,

You have a good question there. Do I think Nina Simone could get the Musical Excellence Award. I say No Nina Simone will be one of the Performer Inductees. Case in point. Laura Nyro who is not widely known through the years in Rock was inducted in 2012. Thats tbe same year as Beastie Boys and GnR. Randy Newman was inducted in 2013 and Bill Withers in 2015. These are not the most key names in Rock.

I was going to post a different point. Last year I said that it would not be likely to have 60s acts inducted at the same time. I chose Joan Baez and was right. There was a coulple weaker 60s acts with MC5 and the Zombies. This year the Moody Blues are on the ballot and so is Nina Simone. I think they will both be inducted.

Sunday, 10.15.17 @ 07:31am