Latest Comments

If you're looking for the latest comments and voting for the Song Project, Album Project and Revisited Projected Rankings, check out the Project Comments page.

About The Funk Brothers, Drrock wrote:
  I agree Bill a travesty
Sunday, 12.17.17 @ 08:03am
Leave your own comment about The Funk Brothers here.

About Link Wray, Drrock wrote:
  Link Wray a tragedy he didn't get in. Even bigger he should of been in when he was living. I would say he had the most influence back in his day of taking chances and putting the power in rock. Artist like Dale, Nelson and Surfaris took it from there. Let me know what you think? The Beat Rocks ON
Sunday, 12.17.17 @ 07:28am
Leave your own comment about Link Wray here.

About The Funk Brothers, bill wrote:
  Funk Bros not in the Hall? Ninety percent of the performers inducted don't have the talent to be a member of the Funk Brothers!
Sunday, 12.17.17 @ 03:41am
Leave your own comment about The Funk Brothers here.

About Judas Priest, Nathan wrote:
  Next year, next year they will be inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. This year's nomination proves the Rock Hall wants to honor them. It was a shame they weren't inducted this year, but I know next year, they will be inducted and metal acts will start to be better represented.
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 23:44pm
Leave your own comment about Judas Priest here.

About Screamin Jay Hawkins, Nathan wrote:
  Of course he deserves to be in. He created shock rock. There would be no Alice Cooper, no Rob Zombie, no Marilyn Manson, no KISS, so many artists and bands would not exist had it not been for Screamin' Jay Hawkins. They were inspired by his unique talent and style of performing, inventing a way to surprise audiences around the world. There is no doubt that he belongs in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 23:38pm
Leave your own comment about Screamin Jay Hawkins here.

About the 2018 Inductees, richie wrote:
  Nick,

out of the two big first-year eligible artists (Beck and OutKast) I would say that Beck has the better chance to make the shortlist because as much as I love OutKast I think they'll stick with LL Cool J as the only Rap act to get nominated for a 2nd year in a row just like N.W.A did for two years in a row (2015 and 2016) and Tupac in 2017 and next year is probably his last chance for induction because Biggie will become eligible the year after (in 2020) Jay-Z (in 2021) and Eminem (in 2022) and I think next year will finally be his year for induction because it will be back in New York (LL's hometown) and it will also be the 35th anniversary of Def Jam Recordings (he was the first artist signed) and also he'll have his own SirusXM channel called Rock The Bells Radio starting early this year coming up and don't forget that he recently became the first Hip-Hop/Rap artist to ever receive a Kennedy Center Honor so I think next year would be the perfect time to induct him so I'll say that he'll finally get over the hump and they'll finally induct Rap's first solo superstar next year back in his hometown of New York and he'll make it in just in time before Biggie Jay-Z and Eminem all become eligible
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 16:34pm

About the 2018 Inductees, Nick wrote:
  Enigmaticus,
Wouldn't Pink Floyd be in your holy trinity of progressive rock icons? I just searched on Google for Progressive Rock Artists and Pink Floyd is literally the first artist that appears. I agree thou that Yes, Moody Blues, and Rush are among the best in that genre. Although I'm not the biggest Pink Floyd fan, I think they are one of the biggest first-ballot snubs in R&R HOF (David Bowie is another one who should've gotten in his first year of eligibility). In terms of future progressive rock HOF inductees, I think Jethro Tull is probably the next one to appear on a ballot. But I think the HOF should form a subcommittee for Alternative and New Wave acts because they are getting no respect from voters (akin to Hip-Hop/Early Rock/Progressive Rock subcommittee groups that the Nom Com has used in the past). It's ridiculous to think The Smiths, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, and now Radiohead (?!?) are not already in the HOF. Kate Bush, Eurythmics, Replacements, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction, New Order, Joy Division, and many others should also be considered again too. I do have hope The Cars' induction will allow for more Alternative and New Wave acts to not only get nominated but receive induction too.

Thanks for posting my list Richie. Outkast and Beck are the two big first-year eligible artists next year, so I would expect one of them (if not both) to make the shortlist in October.
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 15:56pm

About Peter Paul and Mary, Drrock wrote:
  My musical investigation say way over do
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 15:27pm
Leave your own comment about Peter Paul and Mary here.

About the 2018 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Ben,

Actually, Blue Oyster Cult consider themselves to be a prog band, I had read it in PROG Magazine a few years ago. I will have to find the specific article later.
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 15:25pm

About Sonny and Cher, Drrock wrote:
  here is another that need to be praised ..
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 15:25pm
Leave your own comment about Sonny and Cher here.

About the 2018 Inductees, richie wrote:
  My early predictions for next year's nominees I've got two sets of early predictions (I'm going to go with 13 nominees on the first list and 14 on the second) which are the same as Nick's, Tom Lane's, and Michelle's,

Set 1

Kate Bush
Chaka Khan
Depeche Mode
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden
Warren Zevon

Of those/these acts,(13 from the first list and 14 from the second) I think they'll go with

Boston or Foreigner
The Monkees
Pat Benatar
Warren Zevon

the remaining eight candidates all have obstacles to overcome Big Star Depeche Mode The Eurythmics Kraftwerk Roxy Music and Soundgarden are all Alternative/Punk/New Wave/Electronic acts Janet Jackson is an R&B/Soul act and Judas Priest are Heavy Metal all of those genres get no respect by the current voting body (mostly Baby Boomers) who only love Classic Rock acts and Singer-Songwriters (and every couple of years Hip-Hop/Rap acts)

Set 2

Bad Company
Warren Zevon

the remaining nine candidates all have obstacles to overcome Beck Kate Bush Depeche Mode The Eurythmics Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden are all Alternative/New Wave/Electronic acts Chaka Khan and Janet Jackson are both Female R&B/Soul acts and Judas Priest are Heavy Metal all of those genres get no respect by the current voting body (mostly Baby Boomers) who only love Classic Rock acts and Singer-Songwriters (and every couple of years Hip-Hop/Rap acts)
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 14:44pm

About the 2018 Inductees, AlexVoltaire wrote:
  Great plan for the show, Shrek! I like what you've done almost wholly. My only real critique is that 1) I would expect women of color to play a more prominent role in Nina Simone's induction, however that plays out. and 2) A reluctance to use the same people two years in a row, which does not bode well for Neal Schon and Amy Ray. I'm going to stand by my prediction that Alan Parsons will induct Moody Blues.

I love the idea of Rhiannan Giddens being part of the Simone tribute, though.

Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 14:27pm

About the 2018 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  Enig,

I was going to say that Blue Oyster Cult is not Prog. They are a more basic style Rock band from Long Island. Some stuff like Astronomy is kinda prog but stuff like Godzilla and others are not.

Your other choices like Supertramp is Prog. Not a hit like Logical Song. But stuff like the albums Crime of the Century and Even in the Quietest Moments are.

Supertramp have some chance of induction. Blue Oyster Cult who are Not prog I have often joked would be inducted in 2027. Thats not far from the Truth. They are NOT going in 2 soon
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 14:13pm

About the 2018 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Classic Rock,

The holy trinity of prog are: Rush, Yes and The Moody Blues.

The unholy trinity of prog are: King Crimson, Genesis and Jethro Tull.

;-)
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 13:18pm

About The Moody Blues, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Dave B,

Of course, I agree that The Moody Blues should have been inducted into the Rock Hall a quarter century ago, but unfortunately that did not happen. I think that it took the 2013 induction of Rush into the Rock Hall, to pave the way for the induction of more prog bands. Please keep in mind that it had taken Yes three attempts before they were finally inducted earlier this year. Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Talking Heads, Genesis, Electric Light Orchestra, Rush and The Moody Blues had been inducted on their first respective nomination. I think that The Moody Blues induction will possibly lead to the nominations of Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Duran Duran in October, 2018 and the possible inductions of Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Duran Duran in 2019. What do you, think?
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 12:56pm
Leave your own comment about The Moody Blues here.

About the Induction Criteria, KXB wrote:
  Most of them have NO prayer of EVER making it, thankfully... #getagip
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 12:02pm
Leave your own comment about the Induction Criteria here.

About Pure Prairie League, Greg wrote:
  Pure Prairie League is still touring! Just saw them about 2 months ago in NC with Charlie Daniels, the Outlaws, and Marshall Tucker. PPL sounded fantastic! Had no idea they were still together. Going to keep an eye out for other concerts. They were rockin, and even had some new songs they said to be recorded soon. I'm a new huge fan! Please put them in the Hall!!!!! Their origins are a huge part of music history.
Greg
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 11:25am
Leave your own comment about Pure Prairie League here.

About the 2018 Inductees, Classic Rock wrote:
  Enig,
Supertramp - love them, not prog, not a type of band that the hall will recognize

Roxy Music - will get in eventually, not prog

Procol Harum - slim chance they get in still, almost prog early in their career

Blue Oyster Cult - I'm a fan, not prog, don't think the hall will ever recognize them
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 10:48am

About the Induction Criteria, Roy wrote:
  MY LIST GETS SHORTER WITH THE INDUCTIONS OF THE MOODY BLUES, DIRE STRAITS AND THE CARS

It will take 8 more years for all these bands to be inducted

18. Peter, Paul & Mary
19. The Doobie Brothers
20. Blood, Sweat & Tears
21. Joy Division/New Order
22. Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 10:41am
Leave your own comment about the Induction Criteria here.

About the Induction Criteria, Roy wrote:
  VOTE FOR 2 MALE, 2 FEMALE, 2 BANDS/GROUPS OR 1 MALE, 1 FEMALE, 4 BANDS/GROUPS

ANOTHER LIST TO CHOOSE FROM
CANDIDATES FOR THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
PICK 1 MALE, 1 FEMALE, 4 BANDS, OR 2, 2, 2

Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 10:38am
Leave your own comment about the Induction Criteria here.

About Rock Hall Projected, Paul K. wrote:
  Steve Z,

Absolutely. I was kinda thinking modern/indie rock should be a little closer to the next election though, that way there's more of a fresh consensus on who is most deserving and has the best chances.

My proposed schedule of discussion! I kinda designed it to discuss genres more prone to vote splitting in recent years closer to the date. Thoughts?

January - Classic Rock
February - Metal & Punk
March - Pop & Disco
April - R&B & Funk
May - Rap/Hip-Hop
June - Industrial/Electronic
July - Alternative/Post-Punk
August - Modern/Indie Rock
September - Influences & Other Categories
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 10:35am
Leave your own comment about Rock Hall Projected here.

About the 2018 Inductees, Roy wrote:

2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees revealed
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 10:23am

About the 2018 Inductees, Roy wrote:

Music fan reactions to Rock Hall Inductees 2018
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 10:21am

About the 2018 Inductees, Roy wrote:

Welcome to the Official Class of 2018 Inductees
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 10:21am

About the 2018 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  Shrek,

Why do you think that Neal Schon will induct The Moody Blues and not, the members of Rush, instead?

Classic Rock,

Although, I agree that King Crimson and Jethro Tull are also the most likely prog inductees, then please tell me why do you think that Supertramp, Roxy Music, Procol Harum and Blue Oyster Cult, will not be? By the way, I do agree that ELP might also be a stretch, as well.

Here are the remaining prog artists who I think will be inducted:

Jethro Tull

Jefferson Starship

Dream Theater
Tool
Mastodon

Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 09:59am

About Sonny and Cher, JJRite wrote:
  Funny how some artists with careers that died off decades ago are IN and Cher and Sonny & Cher are out. Pathetic.
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 09:13am
Leave your own comment about Sonny and Cher here.

About Snubbed Members, Timothy Horrigan wrote:
  The Band are an interesting case. They broke up in 1978 and were inducted in 1994. They have no Snubbed Members on this list. But 3 of the 5 original members resumed their recording career in the 1990s and made some pretty good records with a core of other musicians, who would have counted as "Snubbed Members" had the original quintet been inducted after the 1990s.
Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 08:48am
Leave your own comment about Snubbed Members here.

About the 2018 Inductees, Enigmaticus wrote:
  I had needed to amend that last statement:

Dezmond,

I am extremely familiar with early King Crimson, with the possible exceptions of “USA” and “Earthbound,” which I have never owned. However, in my honest opinion, the 1980’s version of King Crimson featuring: Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Tony Levin and Bill Bruford, is the best version of King Crimson.

Saturday, 12.16.17 @ 03:54am

About the 2018 Inductees, Classic Rock wrote:
  The idea that the RNRHOF doesn't like prog isn't exactly accurate now as it once was. The RNRHOF now contains:
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Rush
Moody Blues (not really prog, but symphonic rock/pop in their early days, close enough)

If you want to see overlooked genres, then look at 80's/90's alternative bands like The Smiths, Depeche Mode, The Cure, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, etc. who are stuck in RNRHOF purgatory.

I can only see another 2 or 3 prog acts that have a chance of being inducted:
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
ELP would be a real stretch.

That's it.
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 22:26pm

About Kansas, Dan Schwabenbauer wrote:
  Kansas will never be considered due to the religious connotation in their lyrics. Too bad
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 22:06pm
Leave your own comment about Kansas here.

About the 2018 Inductees, Shrek wrote:
  Ceremony predictions:

Cold Opening:
Tedeschi Trucks Band playing "Midnight Rider"

Dire Straits Inducted by: Sting

Songs:
"Money For Nothing" (With Sting)
"Romeo And Juliet" (With Amy Ray) - Excluded from telecast
"Sultans Of Swing" (With Derek Trucks)

Sister Rosetta Tharpe video with a brief note of appreciation from Little Richard (who is likely too infirm to make the trip to Cleveland)
Induction by: Mavis Staples

Song:
"Strange Things Happening Every Day" by Mavis Staples, Brittany Howard, and Susan Tedeschi

The Cars Induction by: Billy Corgan

Songs - all with Billy Corgan sitting in place of Ben Orr:
"Just What I Needed"
"My Best Friend's Girl" - Excluded From Broadcast
"Drive"

Nina Simone - Inducted By: Elton John

Songs:
"Ain't Got No, I Got Life" - By Mike Mattison and Elton John - Excluded From telecast
"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" - By Eric Burden and Elton John
"Sinnerman" - By Rhiannon Giddens and Elton John

In Memorium segment with video and Tedeschi Trucks Band playing Tom Petty's "American Girl"

Moody Blues Inducted By: Neal Schon

Songs:
"Your Wildest Dreams"
"I'm Just A Singer In a Rock N Roll Band" - Excluded From Telecast
"Nights In White Satin"

Bon Jovi inducted by: Chad Kroeger

Songs:
"Dead Or Alive"
"Runaway" - Excluded from telecast
"Livin' On a Prayer"

Ending Jam:
Fats Domino's "I'm Walkin'" followed by Allman Brother's "Whipping Post"
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 18:25pm

About the 2018 Inductees, richie wrote:
  My early predictions for next year's nominees

I've got five sets of early predictions for next year's nominees which I feel is the most realistic

Set 1

of these 13, I think they'll go with

Boston or Foreigner
The Monkees
Pat Benatar

If 6
Judas Priest

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year the current voting body (mostly Baby Boomers) only love Classic Rock acts and Singer-Songwriters (and every couple of years Hip-Hop/Rap acts) so I expect Big Star Depeche Mode The Eurythmics Kraftwerk Roxy Music and Soundgarden to all split votes within each other as they're all Alternative/Punk/New Wave/Electronic acts and I think that Janet Jackson is gonna have to wait a little while since R&B/Soul is now a tough sell for the voters

Set 2

Bad Company
Beck
Kate Bush
Chaka Khan
Depeche Mode
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden

Of these 13, I think they'll go with

Bad Company
LL Cool J

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year the current voting body (mostly Baby Boomers) only love Classic Rock acts and Singer-Songwriters (and every couple of years Hip-Hop/Rap acts) so I expect that Beck Kate Bush Depeche Mode The Eurythmics Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden to all split votes within each other since they're all Alternative/New Wave/Electronic acts and Chaka Khan and Janet Jackson to once again split votes within each other since they're both Female R&B/Soul acts and I think that next year will be another year with no women getting in I hope I'm wrong here but that's what I unfortunately see it happening next year just like 2016

Set 3

of these 15, I think they'll go with

Duran Duran

If 6

The Zombies

Early Influence

Link Wray

Ahmet Ertegun Award for Lifetime Achievement (Non-Performer)

Dr. Dre

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year I expect that Beck Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against The Machine to all split votes within each other since they're all 90's rock acts and Chaka Khan and Janet Jackson to once again split votes within each other since they're both Female R&B/Soul acts and I think that A Tribe Called Quest and Kraftwerk (though influential) are too obscure to get in at this point

Set 4

The Spinners

of these 16, I think they'll go with

The Commodores
Pat Benatar

If 6

Judas Priest

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year I think that The B-52's are going to be hurt by The Eurythmics since they're both New Wave acts I expect that Gil Scott-Heron and Herbie Hancock to split votes within each other since they're both Jazz acts Chaka Khan/Rufus With Chaka Khan and The Spinners to once again split votes within each other and are also going to be hurt by The Commodores and Janet Jackson since they're all R&B/Soul acts Dave Matthews Band are not famous enough to be first-ballot inductees Procol Harum are essentially one-hit wonders and I think if they get in it will be because of Little Stevie and A Tribe Called Quest and Kraftwerk (though influential) are too obscure to get in at this point

Set 5

of these 19, I think they'll go with

Bad Company
Foreigner
Jethro Tull

If 6

Warren Zevon

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year the current voting body (mostly Baby Boomers) only love Classic Rock acts and Singer-Songwriters (and every couple of years Hip-Hop/Rap acts) so I expect that Depeche Mode The Eurythmics Kraftwerk MC5 Nine Inch Nails Radiohead Rage Against The Machine The Smiths and Soundgarden to all split votes within each other since they're all Alternative/Punk/New Wave/Electronic acts and Janet Jackson The Marvelettes and The Spinners to all split votes within each other since they're all R&B/Soul acts and I think that Judas Priest are gonna have to wait a little while since it took Black Sabbath 8 nominations to get in and Metal is a tough sell for the voters and I think that next year will be another year with no women or a person of color getting in I hope I'm wrong here but that's what I unfortunately see it happening next year just like 2012 2014 and 2016
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 18:15pm

About the 2018 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  I read something about Judas Priest here on the site. Rob Halford read his rejection letter. The letter even Stated that it took Black Sabbath 8 nominations before they got in. Heavy metal is a tough to a lot of voters. I like some of their tunes. Breaking the Law, Youve Got Another Thing Coming and Parental Guidance are good tunes. Some voters dont agree even with those. A lot of Heavy metal music critics will have to Vote. Not enough Voters in the Hall to support them. I predicted they were possible but I wisely left them off my list.

Def Leppard is more likely group to be inducted soon as well as Foreigner. Bands like that have more chance.
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 17:41pm

About The Moody Blues, Dave B wrote:
  I have been a Moodies fan since I first heard Tuesday Afternoon on my car radio in the summer of 1968. I heard them in concert this summer on their 50th anniversary tour of Days Of Future Passed , and they still sounded great. Their upcoming induction is long overdue. Lesser inductees have come and gone but the Moodies are still singing in a rock and roll band after 50 years.
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 16:28pm
Leave your own comment about The Moody Blues here.

About the 2018 Inductees, shrek wrote:
  Just a very early crack at a possible slate of 16 nominees for next year that would still let the committe both continue to work on some populist snubs, as well as make sure the inductees aren't exclusively made up of white men:

- A Tribe Called Quest
- Dave Matthews Band
- Procol Harum
- Gil Scott-Heron
- The Spinners
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 15:45pm

About the 2018 Inductees, Shrek wrote:
  It's been a busy week for me, so just getting caught up here.

A few things in replay to recent comments I've seen here.

There were numerous remarks from people who seem surprised that Nina Simone would receive more votes than Radiohead. Keep this in mind: Last year, Joan Baez received the largest number of votes; in 2012 Laura Nyro got more votes than The Cure or Heart. There is a deep strain of voters who are very fond of that sort of very personal and artsy singer/songwriter type and they don't much care what the average fan thinks the definition of Rock And Roll is. They will vote for the musicians that they personally love.

Dire Straits: Gassman asks for recommendations of their music beyond Sultans of Swing or the Brothers In Arms album. Their entire catalog is pretty excellent, except for maybe their final album. In many ways I think of them as the British Steely Dan - meticulous craftsmen who injected their music with jazz and R&B; but Dire Straits did that with more guitar oriented rock instead of the easy listening pop of Steely Dan.

For great songwriting check out "Romeo And Juliet" which was also covered by Indigo Girls. If all you know of the first album is "Sultans Of Swing", listen to "Water Of Love" and "Setting Me Up". "Once Upon A Time In The West" from their second album, "Industrial Disease" from their fourth album. Even on their final album (which seemed like they weren't really excited about making) has "The Bug" which became a hit for Mary Chapin Carpenter.

As for other folk artists. John Prine seems to be to be a very realistic one. I'm not sure this nominating committee would nominate him; but I guarantee if he was nominated that this voting pool would induct him. His songwriting is simply too widely loved for him not to. But I think the nominating committee is largely using the singer/songwriter slot to try to shore up some of the diversity problems of the Hall. The main voting block will not induct The Spinners or Janet Jackson, but they will induct Bill Withers and Nina Simone; so that nomination slot is the only hope they seem to have that they can use to keep away from the horrible press of having exclusively white male guitar bands inducted every year. So that may keep a John Prine, Gram Parsons, or Warren Zevon off the nominations list for awhile until they see some movement in the voting block. Maybe Joan Armatrading as a next most likely target under that assumption?

Friday, 12.15.17 @ 15:04pm

About the 2018 Inductees, richie wrote:
  My early predictions for next year's nominees I've got four sets of early predictions for next year's nominees which I feel is the most realistic
Set 1

of these 13, I think they'll go with

Boston or Foreigner
The Monkees
Pat Benatar

If 6

Janet Jackson

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year the current voting body (mostly Baby Boomers) only love Classic Rock acts and Singer-Songwriters (and every couple of years Hip-Hop/Rap acts) so I expect Big Star Depeche Mode The Eurythmics Kraftwerk Roxy Music and Soundgarden to all split votes within each other as they're all Alternative/Punk/New Wave/Electronic acts and I think that Judas Priest are gonna have to wait a little while since it took Black Sabbath 8 nominations to get in and Metal is a tough sell for the voters

Set 2

of these 13, I think they'll go with

Bad Company
LL Cool J

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year I expect that Beck Kate Bush Depeche Mode The Eurythmics Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden to all split votes within each other since they're all Alternative/New Wave/Electronic acts and Chaka Khan and Janet Jackson to once again split votes within each other since they're both Female R&B/Soul acts and I think that next year will be another year with no women getting in I hope I'm wrong here but that's what I unfortunately see it happening next year just like 2016

Set 3

of these 15, I think they'll go with

Duran Duran

If 6

The Zombies

Early Influence

Link Wray

Ahmet Ertegun Award for Lifetime Achievement (Non-Performer)

Dr. Dre

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year I expect that Beck Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against The Machine to all split votes within each other since they're all 90's Rock acts and Chaka Khan and Janet Jackson to once again split votes within each other since they're both Female R&B/Soul acts and I think that A Tribe Called Quest and Kraftwerk (though influential) are too obscure to get in at this point

Set 4

of these 19, I think they'll go with

Bad Company
Foreigner
Jethro Tull

If 6

Bad Company
Foreigner
Jethro Tull
Warren Zevon

as much as I would like to see the rest get in next year the current voting body (mostly Baby Boomers) only love Classic Rock acts and Singer-Songwriters (and every couple of years Hip-Hop/Rap acts) so I expect Depeche Mode The Eurythmics Kraftwerk MC5 Nine Inch Nails Radiohead Rage Against The Machine The Smiths and Soundgarden to all split votes within each other since they're all Alternative/Punk/New Wave/Electronic acts and Janet Jackson The Marvelettes and The Spinners to all split votes within each other since they're all R&B/Soul acts and I think that Judas Priest are gonna have to wait a little while since it took Black Sabbath 8 nominations to get in and Metal is a tough sell for the voters and I think that next year will be another year with no women or a person of color getting in I hope I'm wrong here but that's what I unfortunately see it happening next year just like 2012 2014 and 2016
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 14:08pm

About the 2018 Inductees, Ben wrote:
  I think of the nominees snubbed this year will return. I expect Eurythmics, J Geils Band, Judas Priest and the Meters to return. The Hall doesnt seem to be giving up on J Geils Band. But I dont expect them to be inducted anytime soon. I know their Blues Rock history but a lot of Voters probably dont. Judas Priest may need at least a few nominations the way Deep Purple did. The problem is they need more than the typical Heavy Rock voters.

I think Janet Jackson will return and perhaps my failed prediction of Tina Turner will make it to a ballot for 2019. The Moody Blues are finally inducted. This will pave the way for Emerson,Lake and Palmer and Jethro Tull. Both well deserved. I am not predicting a ballot for 2019. This is just some thoughts.
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 13:47pm

About The Surfaris, Drrock wrote:
  I love the study of rock and blues.
I began my research about 5 years ago, To make a very long story of my journey short. I would have to agree ,that Fuller and Wilson along with the other members of the Surfaris had a very large influence on the music direction. As subtle as it may seem. From the Fender guitar sensation, surfing madness to the Who and many others. They broke and created so many rules. It's really amazing ..! Yeah they were kids and talented with out a clue LOL .. What they did, is played what they felt. Most of the music business didn't know what to do with it.It was so out of the box. Lead guitar and lots of drums feels intertwined.. That was a no no way back then LOL
Back to my learning . I like this forum some interesting insights. Any who, the beat goes ROCK ON !
Friday, 12.15.17 @ 12:21pm
Leave your own comment about The Surfaris here.

About the 2018 Inductees, Dezmond wrote:
  Enig, admittedly I am a King Crimson fanatic, but you should give "Lizard" another shot. I used to dismiss it as well (actually, Robert Fripp used to say it was crap too), but now they are actually playing "Cirkus" and an abbreviated version (only 10 minutes) of the title track on their current tour. Fripp has come around on that album, you might as well. The 80's Crimson are my favorite as well. I wasn't a big fan of the current line-up until I saw them live, and they were phenomenal. Order the "Live in Chicago" show that is available that was recorded this summer. It will really impress, I think you, and includes the "Lizard" material that you might see in a new light. And they open with a killer "Larks' Tongue in Aspic, Pt. 1" (like they did at the show I saw as well).

Anyway, I think King Crimson is one of the bigger snubs at this point. There is no excuse not to have the leaders of any genre not in by now, and KC is probably the most respected prog band ever. Which is also why Judas Priest also needed to be in long ago, as they are one of the most important metal bands.

That has been my main gripe. Regardless of whether you like or don't like a genre of music, just objectively speaking, by definition the most important artists of any subgenre of rock and roll should probably be in the Hall of Fame, right?

The voters were really stupid on leaving Radiohead out.

Friday, 12.15.17 @ 12:21pm